Job no: 492581
Work type: FT
Location: Des Moines
The Research Assistant in Microbiology will impact the future of medicine and healthcare delivery by cultivating a culture of innovation and excellence through assisting in the design, preparation, and execution of laboratory experiments. For over 120 years, we have shared a singular mission to develop distinctive health professionals committed to health promotion, knowledge discovery, and service to the community. This is an exceptional time to join our team as we move to our new state-of-the-art campus in West Des Moines in fall 2023.
Functions include maintaining laboratory instruments; assisting in laboratory procedures and student teaching/training; and maintaining the general orderliness of the laboratory. Maintaining laboratory notebook (electronic and/or hard-copy) consistent with current procedures. Aid in obtaining required literature through searches and reviews.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare reagents and media.
- Maintain laboratory standard operating procedure documents, safety data sheets, and laboratory notebooks.
- Carry out and document the results of scientific experiments. Analyze data and present data in the form of written descriptions and figures/graphs.
- Meet regularly with the Principal Investigators for the purpose of planning and reporting research activities.
- Perform literature searches.
- Maintain laboratory equipment. Order laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Assist in training of laboratory personnel.
- Participate in and successfully complete all University required training including, but not limited to discrimination/harassment and code of conduct.
- Provide support for instructional laboratories offered to graduate and professional students.
- Order supplies and equipment necessary to run instructional laboratories.
- Maintain and manage instructional laboratory equipment.
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as required.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in the life sciences field (such as biology, chemistry, or physiology) is required.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Windows applications (e.g. word processing, data acquisition, spreadsheets, and graphics) is preferable.
- Must be able to handle reagents safely and perform laboratory work under conditions of universal precautions against biohazards to prevent self-contamination or contamination of the environment.
- Experience in microbiology/immunology, cell, and molecular biology techniques preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally with others.
- Ability to follow oral or written instructions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with laboratory animals and biohazards including microorganisms and human blood products.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
- Ability to use computers to search for information, analyze data, and prepare data summaries.
- Ability to read and interpret biomedical literature.
- Interest and creativity in biomedical research.
Our employees are what make DMU special, so we treat them well! Our Total Rewards reflect this commitment. Qualified faculty and staff enjoy outstanding health/medical benefits, a generous retirement match, flexible work arrangements, tuition assistance, professional development funding, and access to wellness facilities with programs that promote a well-balanced lifestyle. Visit dmu.edu/employment to learn more about our benefits.
Founded in 1898, Des Moines University is a premier medical and health sciences institution comprising three colleges– College of Osteopathic Medicine, College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, and College of Health Sciences – offering nine graduate degree programs. Join us as we impact the future of medicine and healthcare in our new state-of-the-art campus opening in West Des Moines in 2023.
Work Schedule: 8-5:00 M-F
Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend